What is a Root Canal Treatment & procedure?
Signs of needing a Root Canal
Pain in a specific tooth
Several signs may indicate the need for a Root Canal treatment. One of the most common symptoms is an ongoing pain in a specific tooth, especially when pressure is applied or when biting and chewing food. This discomfort can be mild to severe and may last for extended periods.
Swollen gums around the affected tooth
Another sign is increased sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures, which can cause sharp pain or discomfort. Swollen gums around the affected tooth are another indication that something might be wrong. Additionally, you may notice discolouration of your teeth, particularly if they have turned dark brown or black.
Cracked or chipped tooth
A cracked or chipped tooth can also lead to the need for a Root Canal treatment. In some cases, there are no noticeable symptoms at all. That’s why it’s essential to schedule regular dental check-ups so that any potential issues can be detected early on.
If you experience any of these signs, it’s important not to ignore them and seek immediate dental attention from an experienced dentist who specializes in Endodontic treatments like Root Canals.
Side effects of Root Canal procedure
- One of the most common side effects of root canal treatment is sensitivity in the treated tooth for a few days after the procedure. It’s normal to experience discomfort while chewing or biting down on food during this period. However, if your pain persists beyond two weeks, you should contact your dentist immediately.
- Another possible side effect of root canal treatment is swelling around the affected tooth or jaw area. This typically occurs due to inflammation caused by tissue damage during the procedure. Ice packs and over-the-counter pain medications can help alleviate swelling and discomfort.
- In rare cases, patients may develop an infection after undergoing root canal treatment. If you experience fever or severe pain accompanied by pus discharge from the treated tooth site, seek immediate medical attention as this indicates an infection.
Who is not eligible for Root Canal treatment?
While a root canal procedure can help save a damaged or infected tooth, it is not the best option for everyone. Here are some cases where a person may not be eligible for root canal treatment.
- Firstly, if the infection or damage to the tooth is too severe, then a root canal might not be able to save it. In this case, the dentist might recommend an extraction of the tooth instead. Similarly, if there isn’t enough structure remaining in the tooth to support filling material and crown restoration after endodontic therapy, then alternative treatments may need consideration.
- Secondly, people with weakened immune systems due to medical conditions such as HIV/AIDS or cancer may also not qualify for a root canal procedure. These individuals have an increased risk of developing infections during and after dental procedures.
- Patients who have certain health issues like diabetes should consult with their doctor before undergoing any dental treatment because they tend toward slower healing time which means recovery from even minor surgical interventions will take longer than usual.
It’s important to remember that every patient’s needs are different and that only your dentist can determine whether you’re eligible for a Root Canal treatment based on your circumstances.
Cost of Root Canal Treatment in India
Root canal treatment is a common dental procedure that can save a tooth from extraction. It is important to pay attention to the signs that may indicate the need for this treatment and consult with a dentist immediately.
Despite the side effects that may occur during or after the procedure, it is generally considered safe and effective. However, not everyone is eligible for this treatment depending on their specific dental condition.
When considering root canal treatment in India, it’s essential to know about its cost as it varies significantly across different cities and clinics. The average cost of root canal therapy in India ranges between Rs 3,000 – Rs 15,000 per tooth based on several factors such as location, and expertise of dentists involved among others.
Ultimately while undergoing any medical treatments or procedures price shouldn’t be your only consideration but also ensure you receive quality healthcare services too which will help you achieve optimal results from your Root Canal Treatment in India.